Our trade requires a true desire to work with one’s hands, the ability to learn quickly, and the propensity to work independently with great attention to detail. We are currently hiring 1-2 restoration apprentices to perform window sash restoration and repair work, door restoration and repair work and porch post/railing restoration and repair work in our Kings Mountain NC workshop.
As an apprentice, you’ll be performing the hands-on restoration work to bring new life to historic (pre-1940) window sashes, doors and porch posts/railings. You will also have the opportunity to assist other craftsman learning the skills necessary to remove and reinstall windows and doors in the field. Restoration services require an attention to detail, focus on quality and ability to work independently. In our shop you will learn learn each step in the restoration process from the safe handling of lead based material, stripping paint, putty, and stain, to light woodworking and epoxy repairs, cutting glass and replacing broken panes, to new putty and finish work that includes shellac/staining and painting. You will be on your feet all day and required to regularly lift up to 50lbs. Breathing new life into an old window, door or house is rewarding and helps maintain the character, craftsmanship and materials in old houses. Restoring old properties also promotes sustainability by reusing existing materials and insuring our historic properties are here for future generations.
Because of the depth of knowledge and time required to hone your craft, we hope to add people to our team who will find this work as rewarding and satisfying as we do. With hardwork, dedication, attention to detail and time you will progress in your trade from apprentice to master craftsman with each step bringing you more rewards. As a company our goal is to create a work environment where everyone’s contribution is recognized, team members have the ability to grow and expand in their craft while making a fair income with predictable hours. We offer project based bonus’ when we exceed project projections for quality, time and budget.
- Eager to learn and able to pick up new skills
- Hard working with a generally positive attitude
- Know when to ask questions and seek guidance from colleagues
- Ability to persevere in the face of challenges
- Great attention to detail
- Can work well with others but also can work for extended periods on a task by yourself.
- Can communicate effectively
- Share our company values of inclusion, integrity, dependability, hard work and responsibility
- Ability to meet deadlines and keep a steady, productive pace
- Prior experience with glazing/putty, painting, or woodworking is preferred but not required. More important than prior experience is the right attitude and aptitude to learn our restoration processes.
- Ability to carry 50 pounds for up to 50 feet
- Ability to wear a respirator during paint removal work
- Willingness to participate in our lead safety program, including blood lead level monitoring
- Ability to work independently once trained
- Ability to work on your feet for an 8 hour work day
- Steady hand work with glazing knife and paint brush, or ability to learn
Compensation and Benefits:
Starting pay: $16/hour with raises for performance and proficiency, as your skill level and productivity increases your income opportunity increases.
Bonuses: performance and production bonuses
Schedule: Monday through Friday 8:00-5:00, some flexibility permitted to allow for the demands of life outside of work. This is a full-time, year-round position with some local travel. To apply, submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
“Successful people are not gifted; they just work hard and succeed on purpose.”